Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ol' Clothes

I'm not really sure why, but this has been my favorite poem for years. I just love it. And I thought I would bring it back from my old blog site to my new one, because I just love this poem. I am going to be bringing some of my own writings over as well sometime soon. 


The Junk Man passed the house today
And gave his call in hsi plaintive way,
    "Ol' Clothes!"
         "Ol' Clothes!"
               "Ol' Clothes!"
   Any ol clothes to throw away?
   Any ol' dishes... any ol plates,
   Any ol pants or hats or skates,
   Any ol kettles or pots or pans,
   Any ol bottles or ol tin cans,
   Any ol dresses or any ol shoes,
   Any ol things that you can't use?
       Ol clothes!
           Ol clothes!
                Ol clothes!"

I searched the house and made a heap
Of the things I didn't need to keep,
Outworn garments and out-read books,
Clothes that had hung on rusty hooks
For the dust to grime and the moths to chew,
And thus the old made way for new.
I thought, as the old many went his way,
How grand it it would be if every day
The Junk Man passed the house to say,
    "Ol woes!
        Ol woes!
            Ol woes!
   Any ol woes to throw away?
   Any ol grudges... any ol hates,
   Any old miseries or sad ol dates,
   Any old sorrows or any ol spites,
   Any ol fuses or fueds or fights,
   Any ol sighs or any ol tears,
   Any ol wishing for yesteryears,
   Any ol quarrels or any ol frets,
   Any ol tears or ol regrets?
     Ol woes!
         Ol woes!
            Ol woes!

Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment